Sunday, October 6, 2013

Faux Board and Batten with Lattice & Chair Rail


Happy Sunday! So this weekend I took on the task of re-doing my foyer. I still have some small items to finish off but wanted to show you the faux board and batten I put up. It is not a new idea but thought it would look fabulous in my foyer. I have a very dark foyer with hardwood floors in some need of refinishing. I originally had chair rail I installed a few months back and had painted the bottom a red and the top a tan gold that I love (Valspar paint). The dark red even though it was only on the bottom half of the chair rail was too dark for the room and did not blend well with the black interior front door (painted a few doors black a few months ago). So for $75 dollars I did a mini makeover of my foyer and absolutely love it! It completely brightened up the space and was very, very easy. The hardest part was caulking & painting. Here is how I did it but first let me show you the before and then a few after pictures. 

This was before I painted the door black.  I love the interior door black but did not go well with the walls. Here is another picture of the red with the black door. 


So you can see it did not look that great. Something was not flowing well so I decided that black and white would blend a lot better and to introduce faux board and batten. I did not want to remove the chair rail that I had put up a few months ago so I decided to simply add lattice strips 12 inches apart and paint it all bright white. I was off to home depot...

I calculated I would need 27 lattice strips at 33 inches height. The cost was 97 cents a foot for the lattice. I did opt for the primed lattice strips to make it easier for me to paint. I cut all my lattice strips into 64 inch pieces and then cut them into 33 inches at home. I did have a little waste but I was okay with that. I then cut my strips and begun to place them using a level to make sure they are straight and held them on with blue painters tape.

My little Pomeranian, Boo Boo was supervising me measure the whole time (see him in the picture lol)



You can see that I did prime one wall prior to putting up the lattice strips but then decided I didn't want to wait until the primer dried so I went ahead and put up the rest of the strips then primed. I let dry and then about 2 -3 hours later I went ahead and caulked any holes or gaps and nail holes and then let dry overnight. I then awoke the next day and sanded and painted 3 coats of gloss white Rustoleum paint. I think it looks fabulous!






You might have noticed the white table in the foyer got a face lift as well. I sanded, primed and spray painted it with Rustoleum Dark Walnut. I added a new rug by the door (still want to get a much larger foyer rug) and re-arranged some pictures on the wall to make the walls more pleasing. I want to add some color pieces to the foyer as well soon. I am thinking of adding some red accent pieces. I also want to redo (paint of course!) the planter pot. 

The white faux board and batten matches well with the black door and really makes the area seem larger and brighter so I am very pleased. I already had the Rustoleum gloss white (my husband jokes I have more paint than a painter), and the primer. So my total cost was for the lattice strips which cost $75 dollars. 

Well, what do you think?

Here is one more before and after picture.... 




Stay tuned for me to reveal the full foyer makeover which will include, refinishing the hardwood floors, stairs and banister (DIY), a larger new rug (still searching for the perfect one!), paint the other two doors in the foyer black (I have painted the exterior doors black on both sides but have not painted the coat closet and half bath door that are shown in these pictures in my foyer) and add some more decor to the foyer...

2 comments:

  1. Did you have to repaint the chair rail and baseboard? Or is the new white paint what you already had used on them? Or are they slightly different colors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome makeover. Will be attempting chair rail and faux board and batten, or wainscoting, if that's different :-/ soon. Your tutorial will be like having an assistant who knows what they're doing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete